Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Perfect "10" Ch-Angel

Even though the elusive 'perfect 10' doesn't really exist any more because they have befuddled gymnastics scoring to the point of insanity, there's a 'perfect 10' from my past that needs a little shout out.

A "Ch-Angel," I might remind you, is an angel of this earthly realm that creates and offers change. He/She is a positive fixture that makes a difference. He/She offers of themselves without hesitation for the growth and betterment of some other person or group of persons.

Today's 'Perfect 10' Ch-Angel would be the newly reconnected Anne Acton! This cosmic-twin of mine (we share the same birth day ~ just a few years apart), has been a part of my life since the sixth grade. She completely entrenched herself there in seventh grade. That would be a whopping thirty-three to thirty-four years of friendship. WOW!!!

She obviously helped me to grow as a gymnast. That was her 'job'. She never just 'did her job'. She's one of those 'over the top,' 'above and beyond' type of folk. She taught, she listened, she mothered, she advised, she disciplined, she laughed, she joked, she loved. She encompassed not just myself, but a plethora of young ladies through the years as they grew through the ranks of the RVS gymnastics squad.

She was also our gym teacher throughout all of high school. This added a dimension to 'being involved' that I'm not so sure she always wanted. High school is an interesting time. It was hard enough to navigate it as an adolescent. I'm baffled as to how she mentored us all through such erratic times.

I showed up to gym class at one point. She seemed very angry and disappointed at me - kind of the cold shoulder sort of thing. I wasn't sure what I did, so I suited up for some volleyball madness. Not two minutes out of the locker room, I was asked if it was a good idea to be playing in my condition. "What, exactly, is my condition?" I inquired of the grand Mrs. Acton. She replied, "I heard you were pregnant." I almost fell over laughing. And so, in grand Lyn Rider Marinello fashion, I simply stood center spot on the volleyball team and let everyone else hit the ball. I explained to her afterward that there was little to no chance of that going on, unless I was carrying the Messiah. She seemed to loosen up a bit and we laughed together. Ah, the good old days!

And now, some decades later, we have reconnected via Facebook. Many gymnasts from the past have all reconnected with this Ch-Angel that guided us through some harrowing years. Break-ups, break-downs, and simply breaks. She was always there. She cheered us on, picked us up, encouraged us, and listened. She was a blessing that a lot of us took for granted at the time. Looking back, I cannot thank her enough for all those years of all she was ~ at least to me!

Thanks, my 'Perfect 10' Ch-Angel Anne Acton!

No comments:

Post a Comment