Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Sail on!

As I stand at the helm of the ship that is me, I face a daunting and very large ocean in front of me. There is always the option of heading back to the dock, throwing in the lines and remaining where it is safe; but if I don't sail my ship . . . I will never know what new adventures await me!

I may hit rough seas. I may find shallow waters. I might find treacherous reefs and unknown lands. But . . . without those obstacles, I will never appreciate the calm, open sea. I might not spy the conch shells near the shore. I would miss the spectacular colors, wildlife, and wild life that is out there. I choose to sail on. I choose to hoist those sails and see where the winds of chance, fortune, and destiny take me. Armed with the knowledge that I am able to steer is a wonderful thing. Even in the those winds, we still have options. We still have the power and the opportunity to alter our course should we need to.

Don't wait for someone else to take hold of your rudders. The horizon sets on nothing if you continue to sail into it. Keep your sights on whatever it is you want and sail in that direction. Some journeys take a little longer, but there is so very much to see and do along the way. Absorb it all. Get a little fun on ya! Chart yourself a path  to get where you're going and stay the course.

No one will give you an island. No one is offering you a trip where you're going on a super yacht. You might arrive in a row boat, exhausted and sun burnt and in the dark of night, but you will arrive. And it will be your island. Enjoy your endeavors. Savor your successes. When it is yours, and you have truly earned it, the sand will be whiter and softer; the sun will be warmer, the breeze will be refreshing, and it will be YOURS!

Sail on, my friends. Sail on!

2 comments: