Saturday, May 5, 2012

A Wish Bone

Today is Cinco de Mayo! Many of you will be out celebrating a beautiful weekend, drinking, eating, and getting all crazy. I do not want to rain on your parade. I do want you to be careful; but I'd like to take this opportunity to promote a little educational time! Since I don't write on Sundays, I will exercise my open door today!

Tomorrow, May 6th, is Wishbone Day! Nope, not about turkeys.

It's about Osteogenesis Imperfecta; or what is more commonly known as 'Brittle Bone' disease. There is no 5K; no long walk; no rally to attend; no donation form. Wishbone Day is simply about educating yourself about this brutal disease. You can learn a whole lot more by simply looking it up on-line or checking out www.oif.org. I thought I was familiar with the disease, until I met my beautiful new young friend, Oliver!

I've learned much more since then. Oliver is not even three years old, had about ten leg breaks, and has since had telescopic rods placed in both legs to assist in as normal a growth process as possible with fewer breaks. I have learned that in severe cases, it can effect teeth too. I had never pondered this. I also learned that a good many families lose their children to Social Services with this disease because it is hard to diagnose; and most doctors think the child is being abused. There is much to learn about this disease; but I wish ~ truly ~ that you could meet the little man that brought it to light for me.

Oliver may not quite be three, but speaks like a college student. He is most eloquent. He continues to want to  simply be a 'little boy' and run and play and do regular kid things. It is a fine line to walk to allow him to do so; and still be safe. He is as scrumptious as they come and you just want to squeeze him; but you really can't. He is feisty and friendly and has an absolutely incredible family!

Wishbone Day consists of simply wearing yellow, educating yourself, and then educating others. That is all. I will don my yellow while working at Macy's. I'm gonna try to get some other folks to do it to. Spread the word and spread the challenge to learn about OI and let's help educate the world . . . for Oliver!

4 comments:

  1. You touch my heart. Thanks for sharing this with your family and friends. I will share it with mine and my extended family, the OI community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is purely an honor, my friend! Love you!

      Delete
  2. I learned of the disease when I considered becoming a nurse. I was working one summer in a nursing home for practical experience. There was a small child with OI. He was probably the age of Oliver. I don't know what caused the family to place the child in this home. That child taught my hard-working shy self quite a bit. I had to be very careful not to hurt him when it was my responsibility to take care of him. This little person was so adult as well.
    God Bless you for sharing. It is reminds us to always be thankful, prayerful and show the love of Christ to others. You never know what another person is dealing with. You show your sensitivity and compassion to others. I pray more do the same. Our world can be cruel, but we each can decide to make a difference by educating others and caring. May we have ears to hear of the needs around us and be doers and not just hearers.
    I will be praying for Oliver and others like him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you were exposed to such things, and happy at the same time. When our heart and eyes are opened to the world, its woes, and its wonderful . . . we become much better people! All prayers are welcome . . . for Oliver and many others!

      Delete