Saturday, December 1, 2012

Thankful for Heroes

Today, I am thankful for heroes!

Yes, of course, I'm talking about Superman and Batman and the Lone Ranger and heroes like that. Those characters are who shapes our littlest of minds to want to do the right thing.

And yes, of course, I'm talking about Policemen and Firefighters and EMT's and folks like that. Those folks who probably watched a lot of Superman and Batman and the Lone Ranger as children. These folks give selflessly and continually and the good ones continue to do so, long after their shifts are over or they have hung up their badges, boots, and fancy rides.

However, the heroes that truly impact us, are the ones we meet each day!

My mom - who raised so many children, started successful businesses, helped so many, and loved to play while doing it all. My gymnastics coach as a youngen, who managed to deal with a myriad of teenage girls and their hormones and still created a very successful team. More than that, she helped to mold very successful people. My old trig teacher, who squeaked me through the final to graduate, but also became a friend and a confidant whom I treasured seeing every day and still communicate with. My English/Humanities teacher who played ball with my brother and my boyfriend and would let me leave class early when the boyfriend showed up outside the window. He let me experience a little freedom, but more importantly, he allowed me the freedom to grow as a writer. My 8th grade reading teacher whose class consisted of 'read a book, write a paper'. It was there that I fell in love with reading and even though we trashed your car, you still loved us and encouraged us to read, read, read!

How about those few sports stars that I've had the privilege of meeting who do such wonderful things for the community? Not because they are obligated, but because they are emotionally moved and driven to do so. Fund hospital wings. Fund dreams and wishes. Fund scholarships and the future hopes of high schoolers. Acknowledge good deeds and good samaritans.

Or how about those folks who rise above their obstacles. Handicaps and disabilities are just another bad hair day for them as they strive to achieve what any other person wants to achieve. There's no complaining. Only tenacity. Determination. They inspire and ignite those around them to simply be better people.

And my favorite heroes, of course, are my husband and my children. I am in awe of what they do, what they overcome, and what they dream. I am better because of them. I am driven by their persistence.

Today, find a hero, and thank them. The response will be priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment