Saturday, December 8, 2012

Fantasmagorical!

Today, I am thankful for days like yesterday!

I woke up WAY too early ~ about 2:45 am. I was a little excited about All Children's Hospital's 5th Annual Radiothon. I may have napped for another 30 to 40 minutes between then and when the alarm went off at 6 am, but then I hit the floor running!

I was fine at Radiothon until I listened to Oliver's story. Oliver is a friend of mine with OI (Osteogenesis Imperfecta) or Brittle Bone disease. He is three years old and has had numerous leg breaks and surgeries. He is also one of the cutest, sweetest, and most darling little boys you'd ever want to meet! Shortly after hearing his story, with a lump in my throat and tears welling, my buddy Ann delivered an email about a mom whose daughter has the same disease my son has. That was all it took. The tears were freely flowing. Thank goodness the phone rang and I could focus on the task at hand . . . except . . . As I thanked the caller and was hanging up, he asked if he could leave a message on his donation. I told him, "Of course you can!" He then said, "Tell Oliver to stay strong and keep up the fight." And I was over the edge. It was at that very moment that Stephanie grabbed me to go have Mike Alstott sign my Radiothon shirt for my son. Oh joy! I get to meet Mike Alstott looking like a slobbery mess. Mike happily and eagerly signed the shirt and we were chatting a little bit when Stephanie reappeared with a camera man for a photo opp. Super! The picture actually turned out rather nice! And in hugging my Ann Miller goodbye, after a rather emotionally draining shift, I just couldn't turn off the waterworks. There is just something so genuine and loving and caring about this woman. It's like she's the sister I never knew growing up. She's the best friend I SHOULD have met thirty years ago but am thrilled to have crossed paths with when I did. She oozes such compassion and love and friendship and comfort. She gets me. It was a truly magical morning!

Then off to visit my daughter for a brief moment. She wants to decorate her apartment but times are tough. So, mom brought Christmas for her. I did a little grocery shopping, got a pine-scented candle, and picked out a northern pine Christmas Tree to help make her home festive. She cried. I cried some more. It was very tiring . . . and very worth it! She decorated the tree with sand dollars she was given from her recently passed grandma/grandfather's house. It's beautiful . . . like her!

Then home to eat because I was starving! I run into my son who is just waking up at near noon! He VERY much loves his Radiothon treat! I am thrilled to offer him this little goody. He's a fantastic young man! No crying here - except in the retelling of the story of the morning!

And then . . . hubby is off! What a special bonus! We spent the rest of the day Christmas shopping and having dinner out on the town. There was laughter and hand holding and walking in quiet wonder looking at Christmas lights and store fronts. What a beautifully magnificent day.

I am thankful for days like yesterday. It was fantasmagorical!

2 comments:

  1. You're the best sister I didn't have...ever.
    Thank you for such wonderful compliments. It's only because you are so easy to love.

    Hogs and quiches, sister-friend.
    Love,
    Ann @ ACH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann - the feeling is mutual. You deserve EVERY compliment I paid you . . . and then some. Love your hogs and quiches!
      Clusters and bunches sister-friend!
      xoxo
      Love you ~

      Delete