Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Feasting

In thinking about Thanksgivings past; I must say I have become a little melancholy. Don't get me wrong. I have an incredible amount of things to be thankful for. They far outweigh the troubles, but . . .

When I was very young, we spent most Thanksgivings at "Poppa," my grandmother's, home. It was a grand place to gather. There were at least seven of us, plus the seven other aunts and uncles and their spouses, boyfriends, girlfriends, or whatever; and then friends, too. The adults ate in the dining room and it seems I never made it out of the kitchen and away from the kiddy table.

Some years later, as my aunts and uncles aged, the venue shifted to our house. We even splurged on restaurant-style tables with serious folding leaves that could literally take off a finger if you weren't careful. I think it was a good many years before I made it to the adult table here, but I just remember all the smells and what seemed to always be like a hundred people. The house was always full of family and friends. It was spectacular.

As I grew up and flew the proverbial coop, I began my own Thanksgivings with my family. We had an occasional expansive dinner with Vic's family because they live much closer, but mostly, it was just the four of us. And now . . . since Deanna and her boyfriend ate dinner with us last year, they will be dining at Nick's mom's house this year. Dinner is down to three. In another year or so, it may just be Vic and I staring at each other across the table with a whining, gray-haired Max begging for scraps at our feet.

I realize that time marches on and lives evolve and change. There will always be an empty seat at our table for those who have left us far too early, but to have those seats empty because lives have developed is a hard pill to swallow. I'm sure I will fill the void and learn, in time, to go to my kids' homes to enjoy Thanksgiving, but for now . . . I will simply marvel at all the fabulously fond memories I've had through the many years of feasting, friends, and family and get my fill that way.

If you are lucky enough to be surrounded with family on Thanksgiving, cherish every moment. Even if you've got a crazy aunt or sleepy grandfather or crying babies. It's all good and, in time, you'll miss those things. I am truly Thankful for my memories, my friends, my family and my many, many Thanksgivings!

Feast well, my friends . . .

3 comments:

  1. This is so true and a commentary on the loss one feels in our chosen smaller and mobile families. My grandmother came from a family of 12 and families have been shrinking and moving ever since the 1920s. It is a dilemma born out of necessity with the high cost of raising children and being a mobile society moving frequently for job opportunities. Enjoy your family as they are today for in short order, they will begin to multiply and you will soon enjoy the pitter patter of little feet populating the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeling that way as well this year, glad to know the emotions are similar to other. : / But I told myself somewhat of the same thing recently, that it really doesn't matter if it's one person or 20 sitting around you, be happy for what you have but also rejoice in having that EVERY single day. Make your own traditions and memories and let them evolve as life does. : ) LOVE YOU TONS LYNIE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanksgiving has been underwhelming for years now because of those huge gatherings at Poppa's house. Those days set a very high standard for me that have not been even closely approached since. I am thankful for all that I have, especially the people close to me. In the same breath, I can't help but be terribly disappointed that our once close family simply isn't anymore and most of the nieces and nephews will never experience this holiday like we did.
    This thursday, Jamie and I are going to be with a larger group of friends and family than any since we got together in 2000, so I am more optimistic than usual that it may reach that uber high standard set in Stone Ridge...time will tell. Hope you and yours have a spectacular day, love you all.

    ReplyDelete