Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A true gift!

I have often touted on here about surrounding yourself with good people. Last night, I was blessed to have been literally flanked by two extraordinary human beings. The night was spent at an All Children's Hospital Volunteer Recognition event. It was fabulous, to say the least!

On one side, an amazing leader who I was initially intimidated by, but have since learned that she is just a genuine person, full of warmth and a sincere passion to lead. On the other side, sat a beautiful soul who truly touched my heart last night. She spoke openly and eagerly about battles that she has faced in her life. She described in painstaking detail of trials, tribulations, and triumphs like we were chatting over morning coffee. And, without another word or thought of all of that, simply went on to tell of her desires to extend courtesies to others that she thinks is so very vital to maintaining friendships and common decency.

What touched me so very deeply was what she kept saying. "You never know how many lives you touch by your actions as a volunteer. I hear so many stories of people being affected by the kindness of volunteers." I'm not sure that this person ever realized how much she was talking about HERSELF! She gives and gives and gives without the slightest inclination of what might come back to her. She offers her time, her talents, her sincere and genuine spirit, her kindness, her ear, her shoulder, her counsel, her heart with only the thought that this is what every person is supposed to do. She allowed me into her life and enlightens me and supports me in my endeavors. What a blessing and a Ch-Angel!

And honestly, she was just one of 200 people there last night - mere clones of herself. What a group of dedicated and amazing people. What an honor to be affiliated with them in any minute way. What a joy and a blessing to be friends with them. A true gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment