Monday, November 21, 2011

Latitude and Longitude

On a good day, with some decent shoes on, without some post-workout-pain-hunch, I stand a whopping 5'5". Not very impressive, right? I'm thinking it's not even average any more as I used to mentor at the high school and felt like a grade-schooler. But today I struggle to impress upon you that it is not the size of the skeleton that matters, but the size of the heart that lies within it!

I could have physically and literally looked down on Beethoven, Capote, Andrew Carnegie, Sammy Davis Jr., and Houdini. And Al Pacino is only an inch taller than me. Yet these figures have captured audiences and moments in history forever! Size really does NOT matter!

With faith the size of a mustard seed, you can say to the mountain "Move!" and it will be so. What is inside each one of us propels us toward our dreams and aspirations. Achievement is not measured with the height of your tallest, gelled-up hair. It is measured by the faith, grit, and determination you pour into your endeavors.

Fame and fortune are relative matters. I cannot afford a Ferrari, but I am truly richer than most. I have fabulous brothers, an incredible family, an outstanding network of friends and support, I have met my goal of having published books and poetry, and continually strive to meet new goals. Now THAT matters . . . to me. We grow as tall as we need to be on the outside. I am hoping that you continue to always grow on the inside. Learn, read, educate yourself, experience new things, expand your horizons and know that your latitude might be limited, but your longitude is entirely up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment