Sunday, November 27, 2011

To speak or not to speak

So, in having dealt with customer service most of my life (seriously, for the past 36 years), it is only recently that I have realized the value of when to speak and when NOT to speak!

When I was younger, and obviously knew everything, I'd be quick to point out other people's mistakes and my incredibly superior intelligence. As I have aged, and understood how much is to gain by listening and observing, I have learned that that approach may not always be best. Sometimes, it is best to bite your tongue and just point your shoes in another direction. Or, in fact, to listen and learn. And then, there are those times when you are simply subjected to someone's rant or crazy actions and you really have no escape. These are the times when you are truly tested and can learn the most about yourself, your limitations, your stamina, and your resolve.

Two weeks ago, while in Publix, a woman in a motorized shopping cart backed into a free-standing rack of on-sale gum. Needless to say, there were gum packs everywhere. This woman did not even look behind her. She put her cart in forward and continued on her way. I was left standing there, staring at this huge mess that obviously needed to be cleaned up. I put down my basket and purse and began uprighting the stand and putting the gum packs back in there. Shortly thereafter a woman came from the opposite direction with her cart of Thanksgiving items. She stopped, out of necessity, due to the three packs of gum in front of her cart. She picked them up, handed them to me, and continued on her way. The younger me would have eagerly and quite excitedly thrown those packs of gum at her tiny little head. The older, more learned, me took a deep breath and continued to clean up the mess. No harm. No foul. The task was done and no one was injured.

Black Friday shoppers are not always the happiest of people. They are out to find "the deal of the century". You'd think they'd be all atitter with excitement. Not so much. It's  more like put on your helmets and shoulder pads and get in a three-point stance! What made things worse was having to work with folks who think recovery people are at the bottom of the proverbial totem pole. If recovery doesn't recover, folks don't have items to buy. If recovery doesn't straighten the dressing rooms, you don't have product on the floor. Every job is vital to make the machine run smoothly. To maintain silence is not always the best policy. I was told to stay and clean a fitting room. Two doors down there was a lone cashier with at least five racks of clothes in hers. I said, "Your room is clean, she has no help. I will be over there." Not two minutes later the store manager was in the first area and I overheard her say, "She needs to go where they need help. You're fine here." Tiny victories are amazing! Even if I did spend the next five hours cleaning up the second fitting room.  (Note to shoppers: Put stuff back where it goes, clean up your dressing room items, and be nice to the employees!)

Sometimes you speak. Sometimes you listen. Sometimes you just don't waste your breath. Pick your battles and fight when you need to. And enjoy your holiday season!   :-)

1 comment:

  1. Love Love LOOOOOOOVVVVEEEE THHHIIISSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete