Thursday, November 10, 2011

Happy Veterans Day

Veterans Day is tomorrow. A day to honor those who serve this country and those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for others. God bless you all!

I will attend a local service tomorrow. I will cry. I will feel that patriotic lump in my throat and weight on my heart as I see Veterans throughout the day and try to thank each and every one. And I will cry. I will listen to a speech by a 30 year veteran whose younger brother was named after another brother who was killed in Okinawa days before his birth. I will cry again. My mind will wander to my dad, Calvin; my step-dad, Alfred; my father-in-law, Salvatore; my pseudo-uncle, Lenny; my step-dad, Alfonso; my brothers, Bill, Jim, and Skip; my nephew, Nick; and the masses of folks I'll never have the pleasure of meeting but whom I have the utmost respect and admiration for. The tears that fall will be somewhat sad in nature, but moreso, they will be red, white, and blue in color.

A simple acknowledgement is all that's necessary to touch the heart of a veteran. Just chat with them. The history lesson is far more extensive than anything you'll ever hear in school. Let them know you appreciate their sacrifice and their endeavors so that you may enjoy your freedoms. What a glorious group of human beings. We truly owe them everything!

Enjoy the day and all it holds dear to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment